Postcards From… Sydney - An Iconic City of Charm


When you say Down Under, you can’t deny the fact that Sydney stands out. It is a storied place packed with historic, artistic and cultural values that continue to hold relevance today. Part of what makes Sydney recognizable is the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge – two of Australia’s crown jewels. Among the cities found in the Southern Hemisphere – nothing can outrank the vibrancy of Australia’s first city. It has the friendliest people while it is teeming with majestic flora and fauna and stunning landscapes. A wanderlust’s dream destination!

When I was a kid, I used to fawn over the beautiful pictures of Australia wishing to go and live there. One time I was flipping through magazines and came across the most radiant sight I've seen... there it was – the Opera House. It took my breath away in all its immaculate shell-shaped glory. At one point, I even thought it would leap off the page. I was smitten. Fast forward and a few years later, the adult me had pined for the trip to come sooner. Next thing I know, I got my tickets booked and itineraries set with my brother in tow. I was feeling tingly – I couldn’t wait to count the days away!


Arrived at Sydney via Singapore in time for winter season, it was a red-eye flight that took eight hours. Upon landing, the queue at the immigration was a little long. I was convinced that a lot of us arriving at Kingsford-Smith airport were enamored with the beautiful sights in store for us once we get out of the facility. By the time I got to the immigration officer, his first question was my purpose in traveling in Australia. Excitedly, I answered him like a little girl asking for a Christmas wish, “the Opera House!” It felt strange at first, you know, wishing for something I haven’t fully grasped that in a few short hours will be right in front of me. At the back of my mind, I had to keep a little bit of excited energy in check. I thought that nothing beats the allure of seeing what I came there for and remembering that feeling that makes it part of a magical experience.

By and by, my brother and I were off to Bounce to park our luggage and commence the adventure that awaited us. Despite the wintry air, the place was still brimming with sunshine – ideal for a girl accustomed to sunnier climes. Strategically close to the Central Station, we were a train hop away to Circular Quay, the beating heart of Sydney’s hustle and bustle where you see the Opera House, the ferry terminal and a stone's throw away from the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Harbour Bridge among others. This one stop gives you so much to offer – it’s a charming panorama of the sights that make Sydney a world-class city. Initially, while on the train, it’s like a huge blindfold covered our eyes keeping the suspense altogether. We were looking at our guidebooks taking in with what’s happening. And soon enough, when we got off, the blindfolds (that is, the interiors of the train) vanished and transformed into this wonderful view of the harbour. It was amazing - it felt like Christmas morning!


First stop, the apple of my eye – the Opera House. Oh how my heart flutters with the sight of it – the sunlight glistening on its arcs reminiscent of those sparkling toothpaste commercials. It’s an architectural wonder that earned itself accolades around the world. As we walked closer towards it, it became clearer to me that I’ve made the little girl in me jump with joy. Inside me, I could hear myself say, “I’m finally here and I’m loving it!” I’ve never been happier and nostalgic all at the same time.

We stayed there for a good hour basking in the moment before walking back to the ferry terminal and train station. In a way we we’re working up an appetite to get each of us a round of fish and chips, as we walked to the direction of the western side of the harbour. We decided to make a beeline to the bridge enough time to finish our snacks before sneaking in at the museum.


The Sydney Harbour Bridge was a towering structure best seen up close that tourists congregate to take a snapshot of this historic landmark. It was an impressive criss-cross of steel that overlooks the skyline. There’s even a guided tour to climb the top of the bridge and be rewarded with that sweeping view of the harbour. We thought to do it some other time as we were losing light.


We finished the day by making a stop at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia. This space was designed by local Sydneysider Sam Marshall which opened in 1991 and has played host to various art exhibitions and shows from artists around the world. What’s interesting was our trip coincided with the Sydney Biennale – an exposition that happens every two years showcasing homegrown talents in the field of arts and performance. It was just surreal to be there at such an opportune time.


After our free and easy tour around the city, we headed to Chinatown for dinner. And yes, call us Asians, but we couldn’t help ourselves with our rice obsession. Suffice to say, we had to get our fix – Western snacks alone is no cure to ease our hunger after a long day.

I have to say, Sydney did a mighty fine job hosting us around their iconic city of charm. One thing's for sure, we’re definitely coming back.

See you soon Sydney!

~~~~~~~~~~

Photos via CJ

[This article originally appeared in e c r u .]

TAG
Author Avatar

CJ is a consummate eclectic with an itinerant lifestyle having traveled and lived across Asia. Her interests span different genres of the arts, fashion, music and movies. She's a die-hard fan of obscure pop culture (yes, she's aware of the irony and yes, just like those Gilmore Girls duo) as well as reading (The Tig, Wikipedia) while possessing that inimitable je ne sais quoi cool.